Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Yesterday was a GOOD hair day...


BEFORE...

AFTER...














So, yesterday I had a "me" day. I sat and watched videos, talked with good friends, drank coffee, ate trail mix (heavy on the chocolate, no less). And got my hair done. For 9ish hours. Granted, not the typical "getting your hair done." Yesterday, my hair went from being very unstyled and nondescript to having character and funk. I got dreadlocks. To be precise, 98 dreadlocks, one braid and one loose tress to be done in a hair wrap in the near future. And damn, I feel good. I'm a weird, funky soul at heart. It's been a long time since I've done something sufficiently non-comformist and out there to really give me this sort of high. And I love how it looks too. Color me happy.

I couldn't have done it without my fabulous friends (and midwives incidentally), Tawnya and Mel. Nine hours of backcombing and childcare (we had five kids present between the three of us) on your day off isn't really a piece of cake, ya know.

On a side note, I'm going to write this here to guilt myself into taking care of it. Look soon for some writing (and pictures) on Fionna's kindergarten and Kindermusik graduations, plus Ainslie's birth story (yes, she's 10 months old but that's how it with the third child apparently).

2 comments:

noradawn said...

Love it love it love it!!!!

BarbaraC said...

Hi Rene -

I just spent a most enjoyable 20 minutes reading your blogs and looking at the pictures. Thanks to your Mom for sharing it with me. I had to let you know that I think your writing is wonderful. It's interesting, funny, and, best of all, true and heartfelt. Keep it up 'cause you will eventually have enough material to write the next Great American Novel (or True Story!--fact is sometimes stranger than fiction...). Fiona, Grady and Ainsley are absolutely gorgeous and the best part is they have a mom who loves them unconditionally.

I also loved your hair! I have to tell you it reminds me of the time my college roommate, Regina Booze, gave me an afro. My hair was long and blond and the afro turned out big and strawberry
blond. Regina washed by hair in vinegar and wrapped it up tightly in lots of small permanent rods! I lived in Oakland and in the early 70's the Black Panthers were big on campus. Most of the comments were in the "right on!" category. Regina was a light-skinned young black woman who could not join the Black Student Union at City College in Los Angeles because her skin was too light--I like to believe that times have changed but sometimes I am not too sure. Anyway--right on! to you.
Best, BarbaraC