Sunday, March 16, 2008

A very blustery day...



This is a phrase my kids grasped onto from early-on Winnie-the-Pooh stories. When the wind blows, they instantly bring out the "blustery" phrase and ponder if any of us are light enough to blow away like Piglet. I love how literal kids can be when they're so young. Anyway, my point is, it's very windy today, and has been for the most part for the past several days. That's spring where we live though. Despite the blowing dust, Lenny is being a trouper and is hard at work on my gardening project.


When I broached the idea of taking out the grass for the veggie/herb garden, I pitched it as a project that I *really* would treat as my own. In other words, it wouldn't be the typical project that I dream up and Lenny provides the labor for. Honestly, this has happened a lot in the past several years but it does have a certain amount to do with how bonded my kids are to me and the fact that for (geez, can it be) the last almost eight years, I've been breastfeeding somebody umpteen-times a day. So, this project is supposed to celebrate the fact that Ainslie, as our last, is almost two, and I'm anticipating a level of freedom that I haven't had. Of course, "anticipating" is the key word because it's not here yet but it's coming. I told Lenny that if he'd do the prep for the garden (which meant moving and recreating the chicken coop and then the heavy duty initial tilling of the ground), the kids and I would be responsible for the garden itself. I'm excited. I have often chafed at being inactive or unable to fully participate in my "projects." I think this garden is going to be perfect this summer. All of my children love the dirt, water and being outside. I can combine my "work" with lots of healthy summer play for them. I'm crossing my fingers that it works out that way, at least.


In other news, it's been a nice, fairly typical weekend. Fionna's soccer game was in the afternoon yesterday, so we were able to go to the Market, which is something I've greatly missed in the past several weeks. It was one of those great Market days that makes me thankful to have a place like the Farmer's Market. In COAS, the person helping us check-out couldn't read some of the prices, so she called another employee over. He told her to dispense with ringing us up because we were regular customers and we got five books for free. Granted, they were all used children's books but it was more about the kindness and recognition. Grady scored an "Ultimate Pokemon Handbook" that has him feeling very proud. I love COAS (a local used bookstore). Then, out on the Market, Fionna purchased a shell for her collection and the lady she bought it from gave each of the kids an additional shell. You just don't get that kind of friendly gesture at Wal-mart.
The soccer game was not our best. Fionna got hurt mildly and was intimidated to return to the game. But, she eventually calmed herself down and returned for a short bit. I think we lost, but the great thing about it is the kids don't know and there's really no emphasis on winning/losing. I absolutely love that.
To round out our weekend update, we had breakfast out this morning, followed by church, and a friend coming home with us to play. Happily, she and Fionna are including Grady, and Ainslie is napping, so I've had a nice hour or so of peace. :) We have soccer practice in just a little while (during which the friend will be picked up), and then it'll be the usual Sunday night get-ready-for-the-week routine.
A few years ago, I would have vehemently protested that I didn't "do" routines but now I appreciate the familiarity (and the fact that they help keep my kids "level"). Maybe I'm actually growing up (but probably not). ;)

3 comments:

noradawn said...

What a nice entry. Aren't you going to love reading it in a year or two? To have preserved this wonderfully, sweetly, extraordinarily ordinary weekend, that otherwise might have been forgotten?

Yogini on the Rocks said...

Ainslie looks like such a happy baby! (Sorry, I'm looking at previous entries.) I love the photos and didn't realize that cherry blossoms were in bloom there!

connorlove said...

oh Renee, I guess I'm not the only one who has projects that "the muscle" has to do most of the work on...
Your weekend was lovely and I'm of the same bent on routines, within reason, they seem to keep things in an even keel.
xoxo