Thursday, April 26, 2007

Fresh from the shower, fragrant as a...well-dressed salad?




Yep, that would be me. Freshly showered and washed, redundant with the pungence of cider vinegar with slight undertones of lemon and lavender. What the hey, you ask...Well, in keeping with my trend of getting a little "crunchier" and a little more extreme on a yearly basis, I've adopted a new hygiene routine. One that involves no more more shampoo or conditioner for my hair. Thus, the salad dressing rigamarole.

I'm using baking soda dissolved in water as a "wash" and rinsing with apple cider vinegar in water with a couple of drops of lemon and/or lavender essential oils. The idea being that once you stop stripping your hair with artificial shampoos, your natural oil production will reach its intended balance, and your hair will be as healthy and lovely as ever.

The allure of this regimen for me is that it minimizes the number of synthetic products in contact with my body. That's already pretty minimal for me as far as personal hygiene goes (no make-up, no deoderants, lotions, etc.). Actually, the only thing I routinely apply to my body is sunscreen and I try to minimize that as well (by subbing in hats, staying in the shade, etc.).

I'm very pleased with my new hair care these days. I include these pictures as proof that my hair looks as good as ever (also as unstyled as ever, lol). At the point these were taken, I'd been 'poo-free for about 6 weeks. By now, I'm approximately two months from my last shampoo. I'll definitely keep this routine for now, although I'm SO excited to say I'm planning a BIG hair change in the next month or so. :D

No comments: